Sunday 21 October 2007

Me and my mate's conversation...



It was not long ago I had a conversation with a mate of mine whilst we were walking around Portobello Market about the thought of having a tattoo. Yes, permanently having an inked design of desire on our skins. Why you may ask would I want such a thing on my body. There are many reasons why one would get a tattoo. Some to remind them of their loved ones, some as a symbol of spiritual beliefs, others just mainly to attract attentions.

I don't really know what my mate's reason was for his Celtic Cross and i didn't really asked him but will do so when we meet up again in the next few weeks. But a Celtic Cross is the characteristic symbol of Celtic Christianity, though the symbol has older, pre-Christian origins. Such crosses formed a major part of Celtic art. This design is also referred to as the Irish Cross, or as the Cross of Iona. Well, at least that's what i came across via Wikipedia. They are not easy to do. Interlacing knots, a chief feature of Celtic tattoo art and a symbol of the constancy life, is one of the reasons why these tattoos are so difficult to create. Their cyclical design and symbolic emphasis on knots that have no beginning and no end.

Well, we did walked into a tattoo parlour that day but walked out quite soon after as it seems quite a dodgy place. I think many people have in the past linked tattoos with sailors, criminals, heavily bearded bikers, the Yakuzas, triad members or even the punks. But these days, they are quite a common sight. When I was working in Sarawak I have encountered a number of patients with the famous 'tribal' tattoos.



Later that month or I received a message from him saying he had already made an appointment to have one done. The day after I was supposed to meet up for BBQ in London to view his design but because I was on-call that weekend I only managed to view this above picture.

So did I then got myself one? Yes I did, but not after a while. I had always wanted something special, something that reminds me of myself, something which is unique in its ways...and hence I decided on a pair of wings. I drew myself a pair of wings. Yes..my own design...well partly as I had to show it to my tattoo artist and have her change or make them a tattoo possible one.

Why wings? Well, to me my angel wings represents partially the rebellious side of my personality. My freedom. It symbolises enlightenment, guidance and protection "to be taken under the wing" and perhaps inspirational. It also represents my loved ones....my family.

Did it hurt? To be honest, one of the many reasons I wanted one was to be able to feel the pain. That feeling is difficult to describe. I would say it felt like a nagging cat's claw digging into your skin and pulling across. The outline is rather uncomfortable compared to the process of shading and filling in.

Will i have another? Yes...of course. The day I had it done, I was already thinking of having another. It can be very addictive.

Was i worried about possibility of infectious diseases? Well, if i were to have it done in Malaysia, yes i would. My artist's place is as clean as a dental clinic (if not cleaner) and all equipments are disposable. They are also registered with the local health authority. There is no nicotine smell, no dodgy drug pusher sitting in the corner or alcohol in sight. So, no i am not worried.

And here it is, my wings.......

7 comments:

dobbs said...

2 questions - Does your Mum read your blog? Does she know about the tattoo?
;)
1 comment - Ouch!

yltan said...

dobbs: nope she doesn't read my blog but she has a spy..my sister. And yes she does know about it..but she doesn't know the size of it.. hmmm perhaps she might think of it as a small little mole. 8)

Anonymous said...

haha..well done...tyl...i tink your mum will freak...but then again...dun tink she will ever see it..if no one mention it to her...another person who would scream at you would be Nic!! haha...she would say that it is a sign of slavery...

sigh..what's with all these guys and tattoo anyways...i think one is enuf la ha...or maybe u can add a head and then a body to the wings...then u will have an angel that will be watching over your back???? hahahahahaha...

I believe I can FLY!eh...fly home with your wings?? :p

See ya back home..flying home tmrw..on the plane..

yltan said...

CH: I somehow doubt she would freak out. But she will definitely see it anyways..

To be honest...to have a body attached to it is a great idea and i have thought about it. But having one the first time around..i wouldnt want such a big one (first)

Its not about guys and tattoos.. 50% of the nurses and midwifes i know have at least one tattoo...the most common a dolphin.

Eh..have one also lah..nice feeling when it is done... feels...erm..like constipated.. hehhe..

Have a safe journey back. Perhaps can have some cooking time again..this time around with malaysian ingredients!! hehehhee

yltan said...

CH: Nic had always disagree with both me and HM when we had this conversation at Portobello... she was there too.. hehhehe but hmm..looks like it didn't deter us somehow..

Anonymous said...

Cool wings!

just me said...

Seems to be the cool and "in" thing to do...have a tatoo ...when one is overseas. I know someone who did just that and hid it from her parents!