Wednesday 8 August 2007

Underwater Photography



I got into diving when i started my medical officer-ship in Kuching many years ago. Had my first few lessons with my housemate then. I remembered going to this island called Satang Island for the first taste of compressed air and the underwater realm. It must have been the worst dive i have ever had. Visibility was a mere 50 cm i think. I can't even see my own outstretched hand. Fish? You would wish. All i see is rocks, sandy bottom and more sandy bottom. Nevertheless it did not deterred me from diving further. From then onwards i went on to do my advanced open water with HM who specifically came back to Malaysia from UK in Perhentian Island. That was the time i was introduced to my first ever true underwater photography. I never looked back since. Now having dive in Hin Daeng, Hin Muang, Sulawesi, Sipadan, Mabul, i am looking forward to my possible diving trip to Komodo Island Indonesia end of this year.

To make it even sweeter, i am now equipped with my Nikon D70, Nikon D200, Sea & Sea DX70 DSLR housing with two strobes, the YS 90 Auto and the new YS 110 TTL Sea & Sea , Ultralight Arms, Fisheye focus light, 10-17mm Tokina wide angle, 60 mm Nikkor macro lens and not forgetting my compact sony T1 underwater digital compact camera as well. Ahhhh...what a long list. Heeheheheh.. All i need now is a Pelican case to pack all this. Sigh... another pay check 'habis'.

Pictures? Well although it seems that my underwater rig is darn 'pro' but ahem...i have not had that many chance to dive the last two years. But..i am going to make up to it...when i am back in Malaysia.... year end. I promised myself.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, your photography gear must have cost you a fortune! By the way, how do you change lens underwater?

eve said...

Only been to Sipadan..itu pun bukan for diving..snorkelling nia..

sbanboy said...

WAH !!! D70 D200 !!!!! plus underwater casings and strobes .... ????? Pengsan .... can I borrow some money from u ??

;)

yltan said...

fibrate: Yes it does cost me a fortune. When i dive with them..erm we are talking about RM10k worth going under water. You cant change lenses underwater. Either you shoot macro then next dive change to wide angle and vice versa. So it depends on what you wanna shoot.

eve: wah..go all the way to sipadan and snorkelling nia...aisay..waste lah. But i guess you snorkel there also can see lotsa creatures lah.

yltan said...

sbanboy: hmm...i dont have money to lend you lah. All finish liao.. hahhaha