Tuesday 5 June 2007

On-call



What do i do when i am oncall at night?

10 things i do....

1. I work for 12 hours straight shifts.
2. I work alone if i am working night shifts. Meaning.. i carry both the SHO as well as the Reg's Bleep (or pager and yes.. i work alone at night. No SHO).
3. I cover the antenatal ward, gynae, central delivery suite as well as any referrals internal or external (GP referrals).
4. I have to write up all fluids and medications.
5. I insert almost all needed IV access.
6. I do all the emergency caesarean sections, manual removal of placentas, extended perineal tears and attend all emergencies (well...i do call for help from the on-call consultant when there is the need!).
7. I see all patients coming into central delivery unit who are categorized as high risk.
8. I reviewed all non-reactive CTGs.
9. I get to sleep when i have the time. But, ever since October 2006, i decided not to...as i will still not be rested.
10. I make men cry by delivering their newborns.

4 comments:

fibrate said...

One man show?

yltan said...

yes...one man show. Have been working like this for the last year. The problem lies with NHS with major debt... and hence cutting down on payslip, workers and stretching the working hours of others. But the good thing is...i now cherish my SHOs...and we work really close as a team. No senior junior status, or bullying here.. hehehhe (wink: not like the times we had as HOs in kuching)

fibrate said...

Mind being blogrolled in the MMR?

yltan said...

fibrate: nope...dont mind at all...