Friday 1 June 2007

Pregnant?


"For 14 years I had my stomach stapled before they realised I wasn't fat, I was pregnant"
www.dailymail.co.uk


In my limited years of working as an obs and gynae registrar, i have encountered patients quite like the cartoon above.

Today, i met another who didn't know she was pregnant. She is already about 30 weeks into her pregnancy. Really...how hard is it to tell whether you are pregnant?? If you are to have sex and use absolutely no contraception at all, you stand a chance every single month to be fertilised (well, provided you ovulate every month). And as long as one is still menstruating, there is a possibility even if 50 years of age.

"Miss a period, check the urine pregnancy test!" is what i can hear my lecturers screaming when i was still in med school.

No comments: